The beloved bestselling collection of common sense wisdom from a celebrated psychologist and military veteran who proves it’s never too late to move beyond the deepest of personal losses
After service in Vietnam, as a surgeon for the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment in 1968-69, at the height of the war, Dr. Gordon Livingston returned to the U.S. and began work as a psychiatrist. In that capacity, he has listened to people talk about their lives–what works, what doesn’t, and the limitless ways (many of them self-inflicted) that people find to be unhappy.
He is also a parent twice bereaved; in one thirteen-month period he lost his eldest son to suicide, his youngest to leukemia. Out of a lifetime of experience, Gordon Livingston has extracted thirty bedrock truths, including:
- We are what we do.
- Any relationship is under the control of the person who cares the least.
- The perfect is the enemy of the good.
- Only bad things happen quickly.
- Forgiveness is a form of letting go, but they are not the same thing.
- The statute of limitations has expired on most of our childhood traumas.